I teach the Bel Canto method of singing, developed by the great Italian singing teachers of the 19th Century. I was taught by Florence Taylor, Valerie Collins-Varga, Glen Winslade, and Horst Hoffman, and am now passing on all that I have learned over a 35 year career of singing professionally.
The main things I cover in singing lessons, depending on the needs and interests of individual students, are:
- Breath control and breathing exercises
- Support for your voice
- How to look after your instrument
- Placement of the voice
- Developing the range
- Flexibility and ability to sing fast
- Voice types
- Repertoire choices
- Music theory
- Intonation and rhythm
- Pronunciation of German, French, Italian and Latin (for classical singers)
I use a range of exercises to address different technical issues, and also vocalises to master different aspects of singing, depending on what you want to get out of the lessons.
I teach all ages, from beginners to professionals. Whether you are aspiring to have a career as a singer, or just want to have fun and improve your singing, I am happy to teach you (classical and music theatre genres). I also run group classes if requested.
In addition to teaching singing, I also teach guitar and bass for contemporary genres.
Please visit www.moderedstudio.com.au for more information.
I have a current working with vulnerable people registration.
2016 - Current Singing (classical and music theatre), guitar and bass teacher at Mode Red Studio.
2015 - Current Visiting voice teacher, Burgmann Anglican School, Canberra.
Choir Director, Marist College - Junior and Senior choirs.
2014 - Current Visiting voice teacher, Marist College, Canberra.
2004 – 2016: Private teaching practice, Flynn, ACT.
2005 – 2013: Lecturer in Voice, Australian National University - School of Music.
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students – individual tuition
- Vocal Ensemble Class
- Performance Class
- Master classes
- Assessment panel member for voice students and exam panels (vocal and instrumental, undergraduate and postgraduate)
- Syllabus development for the vocal department
Master classes at the Elder Conservatorium, Adelaide.
2003: Artist in Residence at the Armidale Conservatorium of Music
- Individual tuition and group master classes.
2002 - 2004: Private teaching practice, Armidale NSW.
- Choral coach at The Armidale School.
1994 - 2002: Private teaching practice, Blackheath NSW.